Call our Debt Advice helpline
0800 088 2147 
From a mobile: 0333 212 0068 

We'll call you back
Calls are completely confidential, our highly experienced advisors are friendly, helpful debt professionals and have helped 1000's of people find the right financial solution to their problems.
arrange a call back
    Bankruptcy Petition
    Statutory Demands
    Official Receiver
    Your Bankruptcy Hearing
    Debts Excluded from Bankruptcy
    Your Assets
    Your Property
    Your Car & Bankruptcy
    Bank Accounts
background image

Bankruptcy and your home

This section covers the questions you are most likely to want answered about your home if you are made bankrupt:

Will I lose my home?

The Official Receiver or the trustee (if an insolvency practitioner has been appointed in place of the Official Receiver) may have to sell your home to go towards paying your bankruptcy debts. This applies whether the home is freehold or leasehold and whether it is solely or jointly owned.Please note that if your home is mortgaged and you do not keep up your payments, your lender may be able to sell your home. You should consider contacting your lender about your bankruptcy and your mortgage payments.

Our team of specialists are here to help you find an alternative to Bankruptcy or to assist with your Bankruptcy application. You can call our helpline on 0800 088 2147 or simply the online test to check if you qualify. Find out if you qualify for an IVA
Apply for Bankruptcy online

When will the Official Receiver or trustee sell my home?

If your husband, wife or children are living with you, it may be possible for the sale to be put off until the end of the first year of your bankruptcy. This gives them time to make other housing arrangements. They should contact the Official Receiver or trustee dealing with your bankruptcy.

Can anything be done to stop the Official Receiver or trustee selling my home?

Your husband, wife, partner, a relative or friend may be able to buy your beneficial interest in the home. This will stop the Official Receiver or trustee selling your home later.

What is meant by my ‘beneficial interest’ in my home?

This is your interest in the proceeds of sale of the property as opposed to the legal title to the property which is held by the owner. If you are the sole owner, the beneficial interest is the whole value of the property. If there are joint owners, the beneficial interest is usually an equal share of the value. (If there are any amounts owed on mortgages or other loans secured on the home, these will be repaid from any proceeds of the sale.)

What happens to my beneficial interest and legal title to my home when I am made bankrupt?

Your beneficial interest always transfers to the Official Receiver or trustee. If your home is solely owned, the legal title usually also transfers to the Official Receiver or trustee. If the home is jointly owned, the legal title remains with you and the co-owner but this does not prevent the Official Receiver or trustee taking action in relation to the property.The Official Receiver or trustee has to realise (or sell) the beneficial interest to raise money to pay your creditors. One way of doing this is to sell the beneficial interest to your husband, wife, partner, a relative or a friend.

back to top

What should be done if someone wants to buy my beneficial interest?

If an insolvency practitioner is handling your bankruptcy, your husband, wife, partner, relative or friend should contact the insolvency practitioner for information on what to do.

If the Official Receiver is handling your bankruptcy, your husband, wife, partner, relative or friend should contact the Official Receiver. If the home is jointly owned, they may be able to take part in a low-cost conveyancing scheme run by The Insolvency Service and a firm of solicitors. Under this scheme, the beneficial interest and the legal title can be transferred to your husband, wife, partner, relative or friend. Please note that they will have to pay:

  • for a solicitor or licensed conveyancer to act for them in the transaction;
  • £211 (as at February 1999) to cover the Official Receiver’s legal costs. This amount must be paid in advance. It includes an allowance for expenses which may be incurred in the transaction. If the allowance is not fully used, they will receive a refund;
  • the cost of an independent valuation unless you already have a very recent independent valuation of the property;
  • the agreed purchase price for the beneficial interest based on the valuation. If your home is now worth less than the amount you still owe on it, the price of the beneficial interest will be set at £1

The purchaser will also have to give the Official Receiver up-to-date details in writing of the amounts which would be needed to fully pay off the mortgage and any other charges on the property. If your husband, wife, partner, relative or friend cannot afford the costs of the scheme at present, they may still be able to take part at a later date. They should contact the Official Receiver about this. If at a later date an approach is made to the Official Receiver to purchase the beneficial interest, and the property has increased in value, it is likely that the purchase price will be more than £1.If the home is mortgaged, the lender may have to agree to the sale - the solicitor or licensed conveyancer dealing with the transaction will be able to advise on this.

Can I buy the beneficial interest if I am sole owner of the property?

It is possible for the Official Receiver or other trustee to transfer the beneficial interest and legal title to you, your husband, wife, partner, a relative or friend but the transaction is more complicated. If you wish to proceed in this way, please contact the Official Receiver or trustee for further details. Please note that in this type of transaction, costs like those listed overleaf must also be paid (but there is no low-cost conveyancing scheme).

What happens if no-one buys the beneficial interest?

It remains with the Official Receiver or trustee. It does not return to you on your discharge from bankruptcy. The value of the beneficial interest may increase over time if the market value of your home increases. The benefit of any increase in value will go the Official Receiver or trustee to pay your debts, even if the home is sold some time after you have been discharged. You and your family will have to move out if the home has to be sold to pay your creditors.

What happens if I rent my home?

If you fail to keep to the terms of your tenancy agreement, such as not paying your rent, the landlord may take action against you. The Official Receiver or trustee will normally have no interest in your home to sell for the benefit of creditors. In most cases the Official Receiver or trustee will need to tell your landlord that you are bankrupt. We suggest that you seek legal advice on what may happen under your tenancy.

Expert help and advice when you need it most

Our panel of specialists can quickly advise you if you qualify for an IVA,
Debt Management Plan, Trust Deed as an alternative to bankruptcy.
Simply call the team on 0800 088 2147.
Alternatively take the online debt test and find your best solution. Find your best solution with the online debt test

Bankruptcy Alternatives

Become stress free from as little as £100 pcm
With a Debt Management Plan you could simply pay one affordable monthly payment and no longer have to deal with your creditors..
See if you qualify  DMP eligibilty test
Write off up to 70% of your debt
If you qualify for an IVA you could:
Write off up to 70% of your debt
Freeze all interest & charges
Keep your house

See if you qualify  IVA eligibility test
Scottish Resident?- be debt free in 36 months
Be DEBT FREE in 36 months using Scotland's answer to the IVA.
See if you qualify  Trust Deed eligibility test
© 2014 210-222, Hagley Road West, Quinton, Birmingham, West Midlands, B68 0NP
  does not charge you any fees for our service, however the partners we work with help fund the service. Our partners charge fees and those vary depending on the partner and the debt solution. Customers should refer to our partners' websites for more information regarding their services.

We will pass your details on to one of our debt partners who will contact you and explain all the options available to you. They will then be able to help you set up a debt solution which is right for you.

Debt solutions should not be entered into lightly - they affect your credit rating. Failure to keep up with repayments can result in bankruptcy or legal action. Different debt solutions have different risks attached to them.

The lender is not obliged to accept less in settlement of the debt than they are entitled to; nor to freeze interest or charges. It could result in the total amount payable increasing, or the period over which it is to be repaid increasing. Debt solutions affect credit ratings.

The debt products and solutions offered by our partners depend on your criteria and circumstances, including how much you owe and how many creditors you owe money to. You need to speak to a debt advisor to obtain a full assessment.


Contact Us
Arrange a callback


Bankruptcy Test
What is bankruptcy?
Effects of bankruptcy
Disadvantages of bankruptcy
Bankruptcy costs
Alternatives to bankruptcy
Bankruptcy petition
Official Receiver
Bankruptcy hearing
Debts excluded from bankruptcy
Bankruptcy and assets
Bankruptcy and your home
Bankruptcy and your car
Bankruptcy and your pension
Bankruptcy and bank accounts


What is an IVA?
How does an IVA work
IVA vs bankruptcy
Benefits of an IVA
Do I qualify for an IVA?
Trust Deeds

What is an PTD?
How does a PTD work
PTD vs bankruptcy
Benefits of a PTD
Do I qualify for a PTD?
Debt Management

What is a DMP
DMP vs bankruptcy
Do I qualify for a DMP
Debt Advice

Dealing with debt
Credit card debt
County Court Judgements
Charging Orders
Default Notice
Statutory Demand
Council Tax arrears
Hire Purchase arrears
Mortgage arrears
Repossession advice
Business Debt

Business debt test
Help with tax debt
Help with VAT debt
Company Voluntary Arrangement
Creditors Voluntary Liquidation
Directors Voluntary Liquidation
Pre-pack Administration
Pre-pack Liquidation
Phoenix companies
Invoice finance
Commercial finance